Beginner's Guide

Monster Rancher Metropolis: Monster Rancher Advance Archive (GameBoy Advance): Beginner's Guide
By
Lisa Shock on Thursday, December 6, 2001 - 06:00 pm:

Beginner's Guide
Please read before posting questions in Miscellaneous Q&A.

What is the best monster to start with?
There is no single best monster that is right for all trainers. Different people will find themselves drawn to different monsters. There are no bad monsters, only bad raising methods.

The game won't let me raise a monster I just made at the shrine, what's wrong?
Several breeds need to be unlocked through gameplay. Check out the FAQ section for details on how to unlock each type.

Why does the Passwords List here show words that are longer than 4 letters?
As you attain higher breeder ranks, you'll be able to use longer words.

How do I save my game?
The game automatically saves every week for you. There is only one continuous save on the cart, so make your decisions wisely, you cannot reset and re-do things, except to completely re-start a new game. Starting a a new game will erase your old game! However, if you do not complete a task within a week, if you turn the power off you will return to the beginning of the week. If you are losing a tourney, turn the power off then wait a few minutes and turn the power back on and you will be at the beginning of the week. Also note, if you want to save what you have done in the shrine or studio, take a monster to the ranch, and do a drill to make the next week come, and save everything for you.

Can resetting hurt my game cartridge?
Yes. Turning the power off then back on again very quickly can corrupt the data on the cart, and, eventually ruin the cart entirely. If you turn the power off in mid-week, make certain to wait a few minutes until the screen completely clears before turning the power back on again. This is why we do not recommend buying this game used! Too many people burned out their carts, and re-sold them on the secondary market!

What's the blue monster on the cover?
Antlan.

If all the subs are just different colors, what's the point in raising them all?
The colors are what you see, but inside, the various sub-breeds affect statgains, likes, dislikes, characteristics, and most importantly overall performance. A Pixie sub is very different from a Golem sub.

How do I get better monsters?
As you progress in the game, you will able to combine monsters. Some of those will have stats significantly higher than monsters from tablets. Also, try different words in the shrine. Words/numbers/etc that take up more spaces tend to make better monsters. Also, the rare (sub is X) breeds have good starting stats.

Are there any cheats or codes for this game?
No codes in the traditional sense, except for Gameshark codes which are posted in the FAQ section. There is no place to enter any sort of password type code. However, in the shrine, there are words that make better monsters, check our Passwords List section to find them.

How do you guys get money to afford items, better food, etc.?
Raise a moneymaker monster or two. Simply get a monster very powerful at any level, even the starting level and keep battling it. Then make a second one, so you have a monster at two different levels and rotate them in the Studio so they battle/rest/freeze/repeat. Three money makers at different levels can make you wealthy in a couple of game years. Don't buy items for these monsters, save your money (and save items won) for the real champions you will raise later.

Is it important to try a lot of words in the shrine early on?
No. As a matter of fact, we do not recommend it. Get what you need by looking at our list to start with. Later, monsters made by combining will be far more powerful than password monsters, and they can be entered in your book only if you do not have an existing entry for the breed. Yes, is you find better passwords, the shrine offers to exchange the data. But, there's no way to excahnge the very powerful combination data.

How many monsters are in the game?
440 -You can see them in the Passwords List, along with their numbers. There are 20 main types, and each can be a sub-breed -plus 2 rares per type, so 20x22= 440.

Can I get rare /??? monsters by combining?
You cannot combine monsters to get a rare. They are only available by using specific words in the shrine. Check out our Passwords list for details.

How can I get more statgains from my monsters?
You need to maximise their productive years by making sure they do not get stressed or tired. Buying cups can help both. (Actually, wait a few years and you will get a free Silver Cup.) Get a cup for stress and one for fatigue, and you can add an extra day of training before rest, with out risking useful lifespan loss due to stress/fatigue.
Another important project is creating coaches. The coaches the game begins with have about 400-500 points in the stats they raise & lower. If you can raise a monster with higher stats than them, then replace them because the higher the stats of a coach, the more points monsters gain with them. There are also a lot more activities in the game that you see in the drill area. They just need coaches assigned to them. Usually, it is best to make a monster a coach when you get the retirement warning.

Does a coach with a high number in the stat which is lowered in a Hard Drill give more or less points subtracted?
A coach subtracts fewer points from Hard Drills the higher its number is in that stat. In other words, a coach with 999 in the lowered stat will subtract less from your monster in that drill than one with 100 in that stat. Always get coaches with the highest stats possible in the areas it affects.

How long do monsters live?
In this game, they never die. However, at some point around 3-5 years, they will stop gaining points on drills. You then need to retire, combine or make them coaches. If they are well rested, they can be used to earn money in battles.

What do the attributes do for my monster?
Power: how hard your monster hits when it attacks in battle, also reduces the impact of power attacks by opponents.
Intelligence: (this one is hard to see efects of directly) helps the monster attack with the green techs, helps lessen impact of opponents' Int attacks.
Accuracy: affects how accurately they attack
Speed: affects how well they dodge attacks
Defense: affects your monsters' ability to withstand hits, high Def means less Life lost per hit.
Life: your lifebar in battles. Has NOTHING to do with your monsters' lifespan.

In other Monster Rancher games you could go exploring on expeditions. Is exploring in this game?
No.

How do you get new techs?
Try the "Special" from the main menu at the ranch. Choose one where you are told "it is likely" or "you will probably" get a tech. Don't bother with the choices with the message "There is a possibility" or "it is unlikely". Once there, you need to hit the trainer at least once to get the tech. If no hits connect, you won't get the tech.

The game said I got a new tech, but when I battle it doesn't show up. How do I equip it?
While your monster is out in town or on the ranch (not frozen) hit the START button on the Game Boy Advance. You will then see a little menu. Choose the "Monster" option at the top. Once in there, you can see a lot about your monster. To view techs, press the D-Pad (the + shaped big button) upwards and you will see the techs curently equipped on the monster. To change a tech out, select a range and press the "A" button and you will see a menu of all your techs, and their properties at that particular range. Just keep trying "A" and "B" until you get what you like.
(Note: for some reason, the ranges are backwards in view mode, the far left is the close range.)

Is the final boss a playable monster?
Yes, it is a Dragon breed called Diva. We have a password for it in the Passwords List.

My monster doesn't gain stats anymore it keeps failing in drills, and in battles it's losing stats! What can I do?
Looks like you have gotten the retirement warning, and your monster's working lifespan is over. Take it and either make it into a coach (highly recommended), use him in combination to make a stronger baby monster, or retire him and he will walk away (not recommended).

Why do my stats appear to drop when fighting wild monsters?
That happens if your monster is tired. Having the expensive cup & gem can help you a little with this. It's just plain hard to avoid if a wild monster attacks right after you return from Special training, or a battle.

Does feeding your monster "nothing" harm it?
Not necessarily. If you are broke, this may be your only option. It's not a great option, because food reduces stress & fatigue in monsters, so in a normal game it is always best to take the opportunity to feed them, thus reducing the number of weeks they need to rest. However, if you have run out of cash, do not be afraid to feed nothing for a while, until your next monster starts earning serious funds for you.

I want my older monster to battle a few times for me, but the stats drop right before he goes in. Can I do anything? (He already got the retirement warning.)
Yes. Rest him, and make sure he is well rested before you freeze him. Then, take him out on the week of a battle, and he should be fine. Rest him before freezing again. You only lose stats when the monster has Stress & Fatigue.

Do the monsters die?
No. But there will come a time when they no longer gain any points at drills. At that point, it's best to use them as coaches, or in combining to make a stronger baby with more techs than the parents started with.

How do I use the items I keep getting?
Some items give effects to your game by being held in your inventory, like the cups and gems.
Some items add characteristics to your monster when fed to them. You will get a message telling you that an item won't work on certain breeds; don't feed those items to those monsters.
The Lethe items, when fed, allow you to delete characteristics from your monster.
Some items are fed to monsters to reduce stress or fatigue or to affect form, etc.

How many items can I feed my monster?
You can feed an unlimited number of items in a week. If you have lots of money, this means you can stack up a lot of characteristics fast.

What does AGIMA stand for?
Page 13 of the MRA manual states:
"AGIMA stands for Age Island Monster Association, the official monster association of Age Island."

Why doesn't your site have Gameshark codes, or codes for other devices for this game?
Codes appear to be floating around the web which do not work. If we find any that do actually work, we will post them.

What is the most statgain you can get after a battle?
It appears that +69 in the main stat and +24 in the secondary is the best possible.

Why don't you have online tourneys for MRA like you do for other MR games?
Because in all the other MR games you can battle in 2P mode with the game's computer controlling both monsters, and that is fair to everyone. MRA does not have computer control in 2P mode.

Thanks to: Velo, John Hawley, Sfvenn, BlueBomber, Hellraiser83